The Mesquite Online News - Texas A&M University-San Antonio

Health club fundraises for epilepsy awareness

Celia Arsuaga, program associate of the Epilepsy Foundation of Central and South Texas, visited  Texas A&M University-San Antonio to provide students with more information about epilepsy, its causes, and treatment.

“The most important thing to know is that it is very common,” Arsuaga said. “One in 26 people will develop epilepsy sometime in their life.”

According to the Epilepsy Foundation, every four minutes someone in the U.S. is diagnosed with epilepsy.  

Approximately 70 percent of those who are diagnosed are for unknown causes. While the remaining 30 percent can be traced to several factors, such as brain conditions, infectious diseases, or head trauma.

The Epilepsy Foundation offers a wide range of activities to raise epilepsy awareness and help those living with the condition.

“We provide free clinic services, we provide support groups, trainings, and they are all free,” Arsuaga said.

On March 23, members of the Pre-Health Society at A&M-San Antonio hosted their first fundraiser to benefit of the Epilepsy Foundation of Central and South Texas.

The fundraiser took place in the first-floor lobby of the Central Academic Building from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and included the sale of popcorn, purple lemonade and handmade bracelets.

The Pre-Health Society organization was founded in 2015 to help students in health-related fields network with others interested in pursuing similar careers.

The organization is comprised of 78 students, of which more than five volunteered their time to benefit the cause.

”We are just trying to give back to the community,” Rocio Gallegos, a pre-health society member said. “10 percent of our profit goes to the Epilepsy Foundation. The remaining goes to our organization. It helps us with scholarships, awards, or trips.”

Students approached the fundraising event to make their contributions and show their support for the cause.

The Pre-Health Society hopes to host more fundraisers to benefit other causes such as cancer, Alzheimer’s, and more.  

“Our goal is to inform people about various diseases” Ruby Herrera, pre-health society event coordinator said. “We do a lot of community service and we’re just trying to stay involved.”

For more information about the Pre-Health Society, email prehealthsociety.tamusa@gmail.com

To donate to the Epilepsy Foundation of Central and South Texas, visit www.efcst.org or call (210) 653-5353 to contribute by phone.

About the Author

Melba Tellez
Melba Tellez
For as long as she can remember, Melba always loved to write. As a kid, She’d walk around with her tried and true composition notebook covered with Nickelodeon stickers on the front. She used to write about everything! As the years went by, that passion became so embedded in her, that she couldn’t help but want to do it for a living. And now here she is, a 24-year-old Communications student ready to take on the world! Currently, she is a Digital Content Creator at Citibank and a blogger for The Falconette, which is a blog she designed to satisfy her creative mind. Five years from now, she hopes to be someone that the young girl she once was, could be proud of. Someone who is honored to share a piece of her mind, through the power of her words.

Join the Conversation

© 2019 Jaguar Student Media | Texas A&M University-San Antonio. All Rights Reserved. All Rights Reserved.
San Antonio Website Design & Development - Backyard Studios
Join Our Newsletter

Get the Mesquite News delivered straight to you.